Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Freshman fight to survive

MICHAEL & PATRICIA FOGDEN

In the words of Guns N’ Roses: Welcome to the jungle.
And if you don’t know how it works, you could get hurt.
Freshmen, are the figurative ants or the high school hierarchy. They went from being the top of the middle school, to the bottom of high school, which can be a pretty big adjustment. Lots of things at CHS are different than at the middle school, the biggest thing is the freedom. High school has so much more freedom, with food in class, phones at lunch, not walking in lines, etc. It can be hard to get used to, but as an “ant” of the high school, you have to learn the way the system works.
Seniors rule over all, no questions asked, no comments made. Juniors and sophomores earn respect from freshmen because they’re older. Freshmen remember your place and you’ll stay safe.
Another jungle hazard to watch out for is construction. Upperclassmen had about two thirds of a year to adjust to all the construction, and now the freshman need to figure it out. Choose either the faster path, or the way with less swarming with students.
Seeing as most sophomores have survived their first year here, they have some advice to give the new “ants”. Sophomore Anna Polson says “Take your classes seriously, because it will catch up to you if you don’t.”. Do your schoolwork. Teachers will tell you time and time again, ‘You’re not in middle school anymore’. You have to step it up.
“Freshman year is the foundation for the rest of your high school career, work hard.” Says sophomore Lane Broadwell. It’s true, you can either set yourself up for failure, or a great high school career.