Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

No. 1 recruit Clowney picks Gamecocks

After 12 extra days of examining his future as a football player, star defensive end Jadeveon Clowney announced to the world that he would play his college ball at the University of South Carolina.  Clowney was one of very few standout players in the 2011 class that did not unveil his plans on February 2, National Signing Day.  Instead, he waited until February 14, his birthday, to share his decision about his much anticipated future.

After the Gamecocks vastly improved their defensive line last year, which recorded 41 sacks, fourth most in the nation, the addition of Clowney will provide more depth and strength to the defense.  His power and speed is unmatched in this year’s class, and he is expected to come in and play a very big role on the defensive side for head coach Steve Spurrier.

“Certainly he’ll have an opportunity to come in an earn a starting position just like Marcus Lattimore did last year,” said Spurrier.

Clowney’s decision ultimately came down to the three schools that impressed him the most: South Carolina, Clemson, and Alabama.  It was known that he wanted to play in the SEC.  “USC is close to home,” he said. “My mom can come see me play all the time.”  His family and friends were a big factor in his decision, as he chose USC over Alabama.  Clowney said Alabama impressed him when he made his official visit. “When I went to Alabama, I was really close to choosing Alabama,” he said. “I had fun down there. I really didn’t want to come back home.”  He eventually picked USC because he “felt at home”.

Clowney took his time in making his decision, as he wanted to play in a program that will give him the best chance to improve his game.  Since 1986, only 8 of 22 of the nation’s No. 1 high school recruits have been drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft.

Clowney recorded 29.5 sacks, 29 tackles for loss and 11 forced fumbles in his senior year of high school.  He also led South Pointe High School to a state championship in 2008.  He was voted “Mr. Football” of South Carolina by the SC Coaches Association.  The Gamecocks have now landed the “Mr. Football of South Carolina” the past three seasons with Stephon Gilmore in 2009, and Marcus Lattimore in 2010.