Chapin football up and running

Football season is up and running and all of Chapin is looking for a winning season. The task will be a challenge. Many are concerned over a lack of experience on this year’s squad but Coach Justin Gentry is not too worried.

“Lost some quality football players and great men, but we have a great senior class this year. We have to get some young, inexperienced guys key playing time. Then, they will be ready to go,” said Coach Gentry.

The Eagle season began this past July with a trip to camp in Summerton. 

“It was good taking players away from home and spending all the time together, which builds that strong bond,” added Coach Gentry. 

The Eagles crammed eleven practices into a four day camp. 

“Even though the elements of the camp were awful, we definitely came together as a team,” said senior Ryan Moore. 

The Eagles have a lot of new faces this year filling in the gap left by the graduation of several key players.  The new faces are just limited to the players.  On the offensive coaching staff, Quarterback Coach John Bailey is starting his first year at Chapin. Coach Bailey moved fromWilsonwhere he also coached quarterbacks.

“It was definitely a cultural shock, but the kids here work hard. They do what you tell them to do, and they give you everything they have. I have really been impressed,” said Coach Bailey.

On defense, Chapin returns a few pivotal players.  Seniors Ryan Moore and Devin Lawrence are two of several returners on defense that have made a huge impact already.  Moore and Lawrence have already racked up over 110 tackles combined in the first weeks of play.

“The difference between this year’s defense and last years is the heart and determination that the Eagles have this season,” saidLawrence.

While their record is not outstanding at the moment, fans have to consider the Eagles have played some pretty impressive teams.  The second half of the season promises to bring more wins for the team.