New Teacher Profiles: Mr. Flowers

Yara Abusamra

Mr. Carl Flowers, better known as Coach Flowers, is a new teacher at Chapin previously working at Airport, Pelion, Brooklyn Cayce, and Lexington. Coach Flowers is the running backs coach for the Chapin High school football team, and also teaches US History, and World History. He’s been teaching at schools around the Midlands for 17 years. 

Flowers moved back to Chapin from Lexington in 2020 with his family and wanted to “come back home” so to speak. He graduated from Chapin High School, and has always felt a special connection with this school, saying that “this is home to me, I love this place.” He also enjoys the atmosphere that Chapin has and loves the small town feel. He says, “Chapin has always been top notch in academics, so I’m honored to be able to be a part of the community.” Flowers is also a family man. He has two sons that will eventually come through Chapin and experience it like he did. 

Coach Flowers has a long history of coaching along with teaching. During his 17 year tenure so far, he’s coached track along with football, leading his previous teams to many region championships. His first year at Chapin was the first year he hasn’t coached track in 15 years, but he says he “may return to coaching track next year depending on the circumstances” if he is able to. “I would take the JV assistant golf coach, just to go out and play some golf every once in a while,” said Flowers. 

Coach Flowers wasn’t originally teaching AP US History at Chapin this year, but when he was needed to fill in, he didn’t hesitate. Despite the seemingly difficult change that he had to make, Flowers was ready for the challenge and took it on. “Other than losing my planning,” says Flowers, “it’s not too bad, since I’ve taught AP before. Switching mindsets for different level classes is certainly challenging, but I’m happy to teach whatever I’m asked to teach.”