Truth is…Baby, I’m Obsessed!

Truth is...Baby, Im Obsessed!

There is now a new epidemic affecting teenage girls all over the nation—Bieber Fever.  Symptoms may include an insane obsession with Justin Bieber, or the victims may find the walls of their room covered in posters of the teen pop sensation.  Go into Google, type in the letter “J” and Justin Bieber automatically pops up into the suggestion drop down menu. 

Skylar Bullock is one of the many teenagers infected with Bieber Fever.

“Do I like him? More like obsessed! I love him!” said the sophomore. 

She even admits to having Justin Bieber jackets, shirts, shorts, and is even a member of a Justin Bieber Fan Club.    

The 16 year old pop star first became famous in 2007 after he posted videos of himself singing on YouTube.   Usher and Justin Timberlake were both impressed by Bieber’s great vocal abilities and both fought to sign him, but Justin chose Usher. Ever since then he has become a heartthrob to young girls around the world, and has been racking up with music awards and nominations.  His hit song “Baby,” featuring Ludacris, climbed to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 list.

Bieber’s songs are popular on iTunes.

“I have every one of them on my iPod.  The only songs on my iPod right now are of him,” said Skylar.  She even got to meet him twice!  “He is extremely hot!” she says.

But most guys wouldn’t agree with her.

Tim Jordan can’t stand Justin Bieber.

“I’m pretty sure he’s a 51 year old midget who puts on a costume and calls himself Justin Bieber to get attention from thousands of little girls,” said the junior.  “It’s not that I hate him. I just find it hard to believe that all these girls can go crazy over a dude who looks like he’s 12 and in middle school.” 

Most guys feel the same way- he’s just a dude that looks like he hasn’t hit puberty yet. 

“They’re just jealous!” said Skylar.  “They’re jealous of all the girls he gets!”

Not every male is anti-Bieber.  He has some popularity among the middle school level.

A new hairstyle called “The Bieber” has even become trendy. One 14 year old boy even posted a video on YouTube saying that he was going to have hair like Justin Bieber’s. He paid $175 to have it done. 

But when does an obsession go too far?

A few months ago on Justin Bieber’s Twitter page, he jokingly called Kim Kardashian his girlfriend, and tons of young girls commented on Kim’s page saying they were “going to hunt you down” and that “Justin Bieber is mine!”

Bieber responded by saying, “Ladies, calm down. No need for threats.  Let’s all be friends and hang out often ;).”

After studying the recent obsessions psychologist, Susan Bartell said, “It’s okay to love a singer, and it’s totally normal to have his pictures all over your room, but the people you should really have as heroes are people in your real life, people who can love you back.” Girls just seem to be fascinated with his style, adorable looks, wispy hair and great singing abilities.