Will Norris

Running around kicking a checkered print ball is what first comes to the minds of many when they think of soccer. Soccer is a lot more than just a game to the Chapin Varsity boy’s team and in particular to sophomore Will Norris who is also one of the 2011 captains.

“This year Will Norris has stood out to me because of his great leadership, work ethic, example on and off the field, and he is also one of the best defenders in the state,” says Varsity Head Coach Dick Hiller.

Will Norris is 16 years old, he has played on varsity now for two years, and he has been playing most his life for CESA, Carolina Elite Soccer Academy. With so much experience it seems fit for Will Norris to be captain as a sophomore.

“As Captain as a sophomore, there is more pressure, but it creates unity in the team.  I lead vocally and I’m a role model on and off the team. I also am a bigger guy so it helps lead,” says Norris.

Norris’ commitment to excellence has garnered the praise of the veterans on the team.

“Will Norris is a phenomenal player and person.  He works hard every time he takes the field at games and practices.  He’s a great leader out there and a great captain. He’s always positive with everyone its amazing he’s only a sophomore but acts like a senior on the field,” says senior captain Alex Avinger.

While still a relatively young member of the winning tradition that is Chapin soccer, Norris hopes to lead the team to the state championship after coming up short last year.

“As a leader, my goal for this team is to win the state championship. I believe we have all the components that we need to win state, by playing every game our hardest it will be possible.