Eagle Spirit Grounded

It is the Friday of Spirit Week and walking through the front office doors there is an endless amount of yellow dismissal papers. I look back at the week and remember that I only saw a few of the students strutting their stuff down the hallways dressed up for Spirit Week. When it was time for the pep rally, the gym was practically vacant. It is safe to say that Chapin’s school spirit is missing because the number of participants in spirit weeks has become extremely disappointing.  

Coach Honea, the Attendance Clerk said, “If I had to make an educated guess about how many dismissal notes I write on Friday pep rally days, I would say about four to five hundred. Out of those notes I would guess that eighty percent are forged. I’m also guessing that about 300 people cut and don’t even turn in a note.”

But take into account that on average there are about 80 to 90 students that are out on regular Fridays, and to that about 110 senior study halls. Add all of that to the early dismissals, and there is still about five hundred students that skip out on pep rallies.

“The pep rallies are not exciting. There is nothing for me to stay for,” Junior Michael Young said.

Student Government plays a big role in the spirit at ChapinHigh School. They plan all the pep rallies and the spirit weeks, plus they are mainly the ones that dress up. There are a few others that choose to dress up and promote school spirit, but the number of people getting involved is not ideal. 

Student Government Teacher, Mrs. Brinkley said, “Student government puts a lot of time into planning pep rallies. They are really challenged though. Our student body has changed because they aren’t so easily entertained by the simple things anymore.”

One of the most debated topics is the Toga pep rally. Some people think it is unfair that the seniors win the pep rally by default.

Sophomore Nash Parham said, “Seniors win because it’s a tradition. But the other students don’t try because they always win.”

Some students do try to defeat the seniors, but no matter how much effort they put forth, they will lose no matter what.

Junior Jennings Stroud said, “Class of 2013 got shafted. We had the creativity, originality, and most importantly, we brought the noise.”

Many of the upper classmen remember the toga pep rally last year. It was held outside because the number of students attending was so immense that the school had to have a large area to accommodate all of them. The homecoming nominees also had skits that the student body enjoyed. Students also participated in activities such as sumo wrestling and relay races.

Where did that school go? At the Toga pep rally this year the seniors were the majority of the ones to attend. We had the dance team and Nique perform but then a short game where student government representatives threw Cheetos onto peoples’ faces. Compared to last year, our school spirit and pep rallies are lacking in the charisma and excitement students should have for their own school.

School spirit might not seem like a major concern during spirit week, but it does reflect on the school.  A school in Vermont recently banned school spirit at football games. A woman got kicked out of the game for starting the wave. This seems extreme but students might want to think twice about the freedoms they have and show their appreciation by participating. Since most of the student body at Chapin has a negative outlook on our school spirit, maybe it is time for a change.

Brinkley says, “There are some students not in student government that dress up everyday just for the high school experience. I think that is what needs to happen.”

Whether you are a spirited person or not, how many times can you dress up and go crazy at pep rallies like a complete fool and have an excuse to do it?