Class day changed, seniors upset

I filed into the gym, oblivious and not knowing what to expect. I had after all dozed straight through the TV airing of Class Day my freshman year. As the gym filled with parents, siblings, classmates, and friends, over the constant happy chatter I soon understood that this was a big deal, something that would be remembered. The seniors came in two-by-two in their heels and ties, eventually willed away their gifts; sentimental, or absolutely random. But with every gift there were smiles, laughter, and a few tears. Class day was definitely something to look forward to.

Two years later though, when the exam calendar for our finals was drafted by the District Office, there was not a day between senior and underclassman exams. This was normally when we would host Class Day, so therefore the administration and senior class sponsors decided that there was “no time during the school day when students are not taking exams so we can have the Class Day program,” states Mrs. Gowan. The Senior Sponsors “felt the need to continue the Class Day tradition, but there was not time except in the evening.” This new Class Night, despite much disapproval, is scheduled to happen on May twenty-seventh at five-thirty pm, the night following the last of senior exams. Brianne Dobson is only one of the Seniors disappointed by this new idea, “Moving Class Day is a slap in the face for Seniors. It goes against, and dishonors an important tradition that is unique to Chapin.”

But the matter of time is not the only problem Chapin faces with its Class Day, space is also an issue. Administration fears that there is just not enough room in the gym to fit the Seniors, Juniors, Sophomores, and families that would be attending Class Day. At the House meeting on Septermber 28th, led by Student Government, this issue was addressed. The discussion focused on excluding Sophomores from attending the event, and having it televised to them as well as the Freshman.  

After all suggestions, a unanimous vote was cast and it was decided that Student Government would submit a proposal of an alternate method to Mr. Satterfield in place of Class Night. This proposal stated that they would like to move Class Day to May twenty-first, and have it during the day like usual. It was denied. The reason? End of Course Testing.

Though this new proposal was unsuccessful, Senior Class President Morgan Wicker says that Student Government will most likely be working on new ones to submit to Mr. Satterfield, and that she “won’t stop trying until he tells me to.”