Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

All that jazz band

When anyone hears about school band, usually the first thing that comes into mind is the Friday night football games and hearing Marching Band at half-time. But at Chapin there is more than just the Marching Band…there’s Jazz Band.

“As a class and as an individual, I find Jazz Band more fun,” says senior Dalton Langston, “There’s a lot of pressure because basically you’re soloing.”

Jazz Band’s eighteen students and twenty-one instruments provide nothing but beautiful music from this division of the band.  Langston says, “It’s healthy competition, but once you’re in, you’re in.”

Jazz Band started twenty-four years ago when Mr. David Santiago wanted to create and fine tune a group of musicians above the average band class. Santiago says he came to CHS in order to “teach older student musicians who have more mature skills and talents.” Santiago’s efforts have paid off.  The group has consistenly scored superior ratings at state and regional competitions.  They also finished second runner-up at a National Jazz Festival.

Making beautiful music is no fluke.  Jazz band members practice constantly for the big competitions such as the State Jazz Festival held in Newberry.

“We always warm up and play a little of our songs before playing for the judges to make sure that we are ready,” says junior Thomas Mims. “I’m always a little nervous because playing for people can be nerve-racking, especially when you’re being judged.”

Jazz Band also holds winter and spring performances in conjunction with Concert Band, since most Jazz students are in Concert Band too. Both bands recently had performances December 7. They played festive pieces such as Jingle Bell Rock and Oh Holy Night.