Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Tori’s Courage earns Student of the Month award

Most students just know Tori Rhoad as a typical high school sophomore but she is also the October Student of the Month for her courage to take on the problem of bullying which has been on the rise this year at CHS. Her nomination came from Mrs. Caren Legrand after she learned of Rhoad’s plans for a club to combat.

“Trying to change something at school is so hard and it took so much courage to keep her going,” said Legrand. 

Legrand felt that Rhoad possessed courage because of her persistent passion for this club, “As she has exposed others to her goal she has repeatedly asked questions and suggestions without the fear of rejection. The willingness to attempt to make a positive change in our school environment exhibits Tori’s sensitivity, maturity, and her strong determination. Tori is a truly remarkable courageous individual,” said Legrand.

Rhoad overcame numerous obstacles to start the club. She started with an idea and then had to overcome student apathy and district bureaucracy to make the club happen despite the policy that clubs are not allowed to be formed the school year of inception.

“I am hoping SLS will inspire people to help those who are being bullied. I also hope that more students would realize that there are kids who are feeling left out and uncomfortable at school. My goal is to change this and make Chapin High School a place where everyone is welcome and feels comfortable,” says Rhoad

She felt that it was important for her to start SLS because there is a big problem with bullying at Chapin High School and she wanted to help put a stop to it.

Rhoad was surprised by her nomination and feels honored for being able to have an impact at Chapin High School. She hopes she will be able to encourage others to show courage by standing up for what they believe in.

“I hope students will stand up for what they believe in and not be afraid to make a difference. You don’t have to impress everyone, just do what is right,” says Rhoad.

There could not be a more courageous person chosen for student of the month. Tori Rhoad stood up for what she believed in and because of her tremendous courage she is the October Student of the Month.