Marching band concludes another great season

Through the stinging wind and the blazing sun, the band stands tall, playing each note with grace as if it was their last. Toes up, shoulders squared, eyes on the drum major. Finally, the last note of the performance rings in the air, as a drummer clicks the drum sticks on the ring of the stair, signaling for the band to march off the field. Leaving their hearts on the field, with their chains held high, they smile knowing they gave the show their all.
The Chapin High School Band received first place at SCDBA 3A Lower State Championships. For many, it was their first time marching at lower state. For others, it was a routine.
“It felt amazing- being on the field in front of the crowd…there’s nothing else like it,” said junior Jon Simmel, Assistant Drum Major.
This year’s show is titled “Influence.” It had a bit of jazz, classical, and funny moments. The band shows how music and actions can influence different reactions. Some band members felt that the sow fir the style of the marching band well.
“I thought the show was a cool idea, and I thought it was a pretty cool that it was original, and it wasn’t taken from other pieces,” said sophomore Braydon Manley, a second-year drum line member.
Some members had other thoughts.
“I enjoyed it; it was a lot of fun. But I wished it was more jazzy, because that’s when I feel the band shows their true abilities,” Taylor Gibson, a second-year pit member said.
As marching band season concludes and they hang up their marching shoes until next season, some tears were shed for graduating members.
“I feel like the Chapin Band is at a new level that we have never been on before. I have to say that this year’s band is probably the best this band program has ever been in my four years. I’ll be sad that I’m leaving but I’m also so proud to have been part of the Chapin High School band,” said senior Corey Hallman, a veteran trumpeteer.