Fashion trends: Fall 2010

Have you recently looked in the mirror and not liked what you’ve seen? Do your clothes have something to do with it? Being able to dress yourself with good taste isn’t a quality everybody is born with, so here are some tips and advice that will hopefully help. As Coco Chanel once said, “Fashion fades, only style remains.”

A sophomore, Jon Simmel, enjoys looking good.  Simmel can be seen dressing in classy outerwear such as his grey peacoat.  Simmel addresses his fashion sense by saying, “I dress classy, fashion forward.”  Pointing to his outfit which includes snazzy jeans, a graphic tee shirt and his signature peacoat.  “My style looks better, it suits my personality.”  Simmel is the perfect example of how to be stylish without going overboard.  The pages of fashion magazines such as Teen Vogue or Seventeen are full of out-there clothes that can only been seen on runways in Milan or Paris.  The question small-town people like Chapinites need to ask is: How do I wear that? 

Junior Olivia Fitts offers some advice on fashion, “Be confident with what you wear.  Even in really cool outfits, if you don’t look confident then the clothes don’t look as good.” Paige Pierce, a sophomore thinks that Chapin’s student body should branch out from the norm.  “Try something other than a tee shirt,” she advises. Urban Outfitters, a favorite store for many teens includes floral, indie clothes with a vintage twist. 

The problem with fashion is the price tag, one that seems to add a few more zeros than necessary.  Looking good doesn’t have to be expensive.  So try trading in a new pair of Sperry’s for a classic pair of TOMS which go for about $44 – $68 a pair.  Not only do TOMS have a modern take on flats, but with each pair you buy, TOMS will give another pair to a child in need. Truthfully, who wouldn’t buy a pair of great shoes when some of the money helps a child in need?

A lot of new fall trends are sprouting up this year, but few seem to be in relevance to Chapin’s small town atmosphere. So try a cardigan and mix it up with animal print and bright colors. Fitts says she likes to spice things up with a vintage feel, “ l really like stuff that was popular in the other time periods … but only if you can put it with the right outfit.” Vintage cable-knit sweaters are also nice for the fall weather. When choosing an outfit keep in mind the things that look best on you: skinny or flare jeans? Stripes or solids? Try to be conscious of your body type and dress accordingly. 

For guys Simmel puts in a word of advice “I believe there are a lot of people that need to be educated…it’s a good way to express yourself.” So tomorrow morning when you roll out of bed and realize that it’s actually not Saturday, try keeping this advice in mind and express yourself through your clothes.