Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Rec league offers fun for athletes

Who wants to be serious while playing sports?  Sports are supposed to be about having fun while getting a little exercise and some students have decided rec league is the right fit for them.

For many years, Crooked Creek Park has offered spring sport opportunities to the community, including softball, baseball, and soccer. These sports are taken less seriously which make it more of an attraction to the community. Although Chapin High offers these same sports, many students prefer to play in recreational leagues instead because of the more relaxed atmosphere.

“I’m afraid if I mess up [in varsity] everyone will get annoying about it. My friends would be there too, which makes me nervous,” said freshman Katerina Scott.

Many of the students, who have not played on the school’s team, have actually been playing rec for a while.

“I have played rec for two years and I think I’m good at it,” said Scott.

But others have not played at all and wanted a new experience.

“I have never played rec before so I wanted to try it out,” said Scott’s teammate junior Ashleigh Eubanks.

What is the difference between rec league and varsity?

In rec, it’s more about the fun of the game and not so much about the seriousness. On varsity, the team works hard almost everyday at practice. However, for rec league it would be great to even get ONE practice for the week!

Chapin High School’s varsity teams are all about being serious and trying hard to win.

“I want to have fun with it and not be too serious,” adds Eubanks.

Rec is supposed to be all about fun and coming together as a community. Ashleigh says that her favorite part about playing rec is that she likes being on a team and meeting new people.