Chapin enters ‘Ross Phase’

Current assistant principal Akil Ross has been named to become the new principal of Chapin High School, succeeding current principal Mr. Mike Satterfield.  Contrary to recent short-lived “eras”, July first will serve as the effective date for the beginning to a new “phase” of promise for Chapin High.

“Mr. Satterfield has really been a mentor for me in a lot of different ways,” said Mr. Ross.  Mr. Satterfield’s influence on Mr. Ross is more than a job-related friendship.  “Mr. Satterfield even taught me how to swim,” said Ross.  The bond between these two administrators is very convenient in regards to the transition of the job.

The road to the selection of Mr. Ross as future principal was anything but ordinary.

“Typically you would have a job posted, an interview process and a selection process,” said Ross. But the Chapin process was different.

Mr. Ross had previously applied for the Irmo principal opening, but was not granted the job after being one of the four finalists.  Coincidentally, the Chapin job became available.  No teacher interview or committee selection occurred in this process.

“It wasn’t quite like I was just picked up off the street,” said Ross, “But I did interview with the superintendent and was chosen for the Chapin position.”

It seems that no true selection process was needed because Ross was seemingly perfect for the job.  “Mr. Akil Ross’s contagious charisma and leading spirit can and will help us Chapin Eagles lift off to glory,” said junior Harrison Church.

The impact Ross brings to Chapin is beyond the chair of his office.  “He’s always in the halls giving people high fives and saying hello to everyone.  He’s friendly, compassionate, and just all-around awesome!” said junior Lauren Weston.

A new principal is accompanied by a new mindset.  Through qualitatively analyzing approximately 160 individual surveys from staff members and parents, Mr. Ross’s plans and beliefs intend to match up with the direction and passion shared with those running the school.  Mr. Ross’s rationale stems from his belief that individuals who are given input into the decision-making process are likely to do more than required in return.  “Mr. Ross knows the culture of the school which is important, but he is also willing to think outside of the box to make things better,” said math teacher Mr. Rhea Faris.

The inspiration that Mr. Ross looks forward to implementing is aimed toward maximizing the potential of students as well as providing an amazing educational environment.  “In a nutshell, my philosophy is to inspire achievement,” said Mr. Ross.

One focus is to improve the experience for students during the period of the three year building process.

“It will be exciting looking for ways to make our current campus attractive and fun during the building process,” said Ross, “I want the students to feel that they are loved and that they are not missing out.”

Missing out will not be an issue with Mr. Akil Ross at the helm.  Whether it’s his occasional “fist pound” or his new rule involving referrals for wearing University of North Carolina attire, Chapin finds itself in good hands.

“When I retire and they look back at what Mr. Ross did at Chapin High School, I would love for them to say that it was a time where each student gave them the greatest opportunity to become whatever they wanted. That’s success to me.”

View Comments (1)