Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Intensity of AP exams

As it nears the month of May, the mindset of a student would typically be thinking about summer. But sometimes before the fun and games begin, comes exams. Every high schooler has to take an exam, but there are also AP exams that come even before the regular exams. What is different about an AP exam is that if one passes, they can receive college hours depending on where they go to college. To pass any AP exam one has to receive a three or higher. There really is no formula for how many hours or whatnot the student will receive by passing the exam. It all depends on what they scored, and also what college they are attending and what their standards and rules are. By taking an AP class, it helps show and has the students explore what a college class would be like. So the exam however is very imperative and needs to be taken seriously just like any other exam would be taken. “This is my first year in an AP class and passing this exam is very important to me because not only would I receive college credit, it would help me out in college itself,” said junior Ryan O’Neill. The AP teachers, from day one help the students get prepared and ready for the exam. For Chapin, the AP exams are usually taken at Mt. Horeb Lutheran Church. “They are taken at a different location because it is a quiet environment with fewer distractions,” said Mr. Sommerville. Senior Robert Hinson has already had the experience of taking AP exams. “AP exams however are a lot harder and more stressful then other exams, but I want to pass it, and do well on it just like any other one,” said Hinson. As a way to help prepare her students for the AP English exam, Mrs. Weathersbee gives practice AP tests, as well as focusing on different pieces of literature and analyzing them. “AP exams are very useful, however taking the AP class is very important as well, said Mrs. Weathersbee. By taking the AP class also has the student with higher standards and therefore they know what to expect when college comes around. “The biggest piece of advice I would give first time AP exam takers is don’t try and cram the night before. It is more important to be well rested then being tired and all worried on the day of the exam,” says Hinson.