Why Vote?

Why+Vote%3F
Nease

Voting has been a system implemented in our society for centuries. For as long as there has been government or leaders, there has been voting. In the ancient Nordic tribes, there were leaders who took control and lead their tribe. How did they become leaders, however? They were mutually agreed by their tribe to become their leader. The earliest system of voting was born. In present times, voting is widely accepted in all democratic communities. Whether it be voting for SIC council president, school board, or the president of the United States, voting is important.

For a moment, imagine a world without voting. There would be no government; there would be no schooling system, no anything. Complete anarchy would take over, and there would be no society. Voting is what brings the leaders of our world to the top, and they are who hold us all together.

So as you ask, ‘why is voting important?’ ‘Why should I vote?’ ‘I’m just one person, my vote won’t make a difference’, take a thought about it. The people who you vote for today will impact your life and the rest of America for the next 4 years, at the least. Their policies will be the ones that affect your children when you grow up. Out of the millions of votes that are cast every year, they are each made up of a single vote. And by each single vote being counted, millions are received.

As well as voting being important, as is running for an office. If President Obama had not decided to run for office, he would not have been the first black president. If Franklin D Roosevelt decided he didn’t want to run for office, we may have struggled for years longer to get out of the depression.

The reason I have brought this topic up is because every single executive board position at Chapin high school is running unopposed. Only one candidate is running for each position, which does not produce the best person possible for the position. Voting weeds out the weaker candidates and produces the best leader for the position, but it cannot do its job if nobody runs for the job.

For voting to be effective in its job of producing the best leader, the spots must be filled. For society to produce the great leaders that we expect, we must get the courage to run for office, and we must vote when the time comes. For our society to be a productive one, we cannot be lazy and wait for others to do the job for us. To be a part of a productive society, we must be proactive, and do the job on our own.