Why healthcare reform matters

The battle for healthcare reform in the United States took Democrats to the brink, but it was a battle worth fighting. Attempts to change the healthcare system have been tossed about for nearly a century, and the past year has shown Washington at its worst. Despite the bitterness and complete lack of partisanship, the bottom line is that millions of Americans are going to be insured, insurance costs will go down, and consumer protection will go up.

It is universally acknowledged that the health-insurance system in the United States is messed up. Anyone who says that the status quo is acceptable and that we should continue on the same path probably works for an insurance company. How can someone consciously argue against a bill that allows citizens with pre-existing conditions to be covered? How can someone argue against a bill that offers tax credits to small businesses that insure their employees?

Understandably, Americans are worried about these new laws. After watching all of the bickering along party lines in Washington, it makes sense to be wary.

Both parties are to blame for the controversy surrounding this bill. Democrats should have been more open to Republicans at the beginning of the process, but Republicans should have met Democrats half way when compromises began instead of alienating themselves farther to the right.

Currently, nearly 20 percent of the population is uninsured. Following this bill, that despicably high number may be lowered to just five percent by the end of the decade.

The controversy surrounding this bill will not go away any time soon. If Republicans take back the House in November, they will fight against the bill and 13 states are already launching lawsuits against it (South Carolina included).

Call me a socialist if you want, but I’m convinced that having a bill that gives Americans affordable, safe, secure healthcare options and will regulate insurance companies is one of the best ideas we have ever had.