Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Relay Saves Life

Some students spend their Friday nights at parties.
Or at the mall.
Or the movies.
Or just hanging around at their house.

But Friday, May 14, 2010, some will give up their Friday night to help to find a cure for cancer. Thirty three members of the Chapin High School Junior Civitans Club are participating in the 2010 Relay for life.

They’ve sold Marble Slab ice cream, Monkey Ice snow cones, t shirts, luminaries, purple ribbons and “one step closer” feet to raise money to help find a cure for cancer. This year they have raised over $3100 to help find a cure for cancer.

Sophomores Virginia Baker and Hailey Green have raised the most money from the Junior Civitan’s team. Together they’ve raised over $1000.

“I’ve known a lot of people who have suffered from cancer and I know this is a great cause” says Baker.

Hailey Green’s mom had breast cancer. Hailey’s raised over $700 for Relay this year. “It’s a good opportunity for people to get involved and help find a cure.” She says.

This cause is very close to Junior Civitan’s sponsor, April Worley. “I lost my father to lung cancer,” she says.

One out of every four deaths in the United States is cancer related and it kills more than 1,500 people everyday. In 1946, The American Cancer Society began funding cancer research. In 44 years they have donated over $3.4 billion to cancer research. This research has led to numerous discoveries that have helped scientists comprehend cancer and help to find more effective forms of treatment.

Relay for Life does more than just collect donations for cancer research. It’s also a way to commemorate those that have lost their lives because of cancer and to celebrate the survivors.

Relay for life was started in 1985. Dr Gordy Klatt, a doctor from Washington, walked for 24 hours to help raise money for the American Cancer Society. Now, over 3.5 million people participate in Relay for Life each year.

This year, the theme is “Jammin’ in our Jammies”. All the participants from the Junior Civitans Club will be wearing the PJ’s and helping to fight cancer and find a cure. According to the

American Cancer Society’s website, “The American Cancer Society Relay for Life represents the hope that those lost to cancer will never be forgotten, that those who face cancer will be supported, and that one day cancer will be eliminated.” The Civitan’s that are participating in Relay for life are holding true to this cause. 

Relay for life helps to raise awareness of cancer, fund cancer research, and give support to those who have battled cancer, lost a loved one to cancer, or are currently struggling to over come cancer now, but most importantly, Relay for Life saves lives.