Budget Cut Affects Students And Staff

3.6 million dollars is a lot of money that Chapin High School is losing very soon. Due to the lack of a stimulus the school received in the past, next year it is going to be cut short, a loss of 3.6 million . Due to act 388, tax payer dollars don’t go to high schools; sales taxes do instead. Our sinking economy isn’t exactly encouraging shopping sprees. Ross says that the hardest part of the cut is “changing traditions, and trying to explain that times are different.”

Many are asking how Mr. Ross is planning to compensate for the loss. Shockingly, he is planning to upgrade our high school, and save money at the same time. He is considering replacing text books with net-books, or similar devices, saving money that is usually spent on each student’s text books for the year.

Chapin High is now actually making money with the new vending machines. The money that is spent on snacks all goes directly to Chain High School. Stocking them is cheap, and the machines themselves were donated by an anonymous benefactor. Other ways he plans to save money are obvious, such as copying less things, cutting back on air conditioning and lights during non-school hours, and as a last resort – reduction of staff.  Students and teachers alike are already feeling the effects of his latest effort, reducing copies.

Mr. Ross says that he deals with the issues by trying “… to focus on the positive. Interacting with students and spending time with my family, especially my daughter helps.” According to Ross as long as students “find more efficient ways to manage” Chapin will be okay.