Magnetic Flowers Attracts Attention

Some students know Mr. Funk and Mr. Knuckley as “those two teachers with beards,” while others know Mr. Funk and Mr. Knuckley as “those two teachers in that band.”  “That band” being Magnetic Flowers.  The group started six years ago with the founding members Patrick Funk (guitar) and Jared Pyritzs (acoustic guitar).  Since the bands humble beginning, they have had many line-up changes, until about three years ago when they formed the current line-up.  In the band currently is their bassist, and resident teacher, Albert Knuckley.  Mr. Knuckley fills in most of the songs, with what Mr. Funk describes as the “flavor of the song.”  On the keyboards is Adam Cullum, who teaches music and Evan Simmons, who teaches drums.  The only person in the band who does not teach is the co-founder of the band Jared Pyritzs.  His occupation is scuba diving into people’s swimming pools to fix leaks. 

In the six-year time span that the band has been together, they have written small albums worth of material, equaling out to about 30 songs in all.  The writing process for the band differs with each member.  For example, Mr. Funk writes by taking reality and turning it into a story.  Mr. Funk describes the sound of Magnetic Flowers as, “Folk lyrics with rock and roll guitars and a country twinge to it.”  While their sound may range from folk to country, their influences range from famous to obscure.  “Our main influences are The Beatles, Okkervil River and The Band.”   

One question Magnetic Flowers gets a lot is, “Where did you come up with your name?”  “Honestly, we just couldn’t think of a name,” claims Mr. Funk, “and we were just so sick of thinking of a name that we settled on Magnetic Flowers.”          

The group will usually get gigs about once a month, to make sure people “don’t get sick of them” in and around Columbia.  “While most of our gigs are in Columbia, we have been trying to spread out our gigs to the surrounding area,” says Mr. Funk. 

As for the future of Magnetic Flowers, the group has a clear opinion.  “Would we like to make a million dollars and sell a billion records?  Of course!  Will it happen?  Probably not, but right now, we are just looking to push the band as far as it will go.