Renovations move forward, wetlands on trial

Members of the community affected by District 5 have become opinionated on whether or not the wetland holding back renovations should be considered a legitimate wetland.

The wetland dispute is a growing controversy at Chapin High School with many contributing aspects such as the school board election and the ongoing lawsuit against the district.  

Kim Murphy recently obtained a position on the school board through the election; this has both upset and satisfied many people in District 5. Some members of the community are concerned because of the lawsuit she previously filed against the district. Some say she is “suing herself” and are worried about how her position on board will affect the lawsuit.

At this time, the lawsuit is still preceding and students and staff members want the renovations that they were promised to go forth. However, Mrs. Murphy feels very strongly about the preservation of the subject wetland.

Mrs. Murphy states, “My daughters and I use and enjoy the natural resources of the Wateree Creek and of the subject headwaters stream and ecosystem including the plants and animals that will be harmed if District 5 is permitted to destroy the stream.”

Dr. Berg, District 5 Superintendent, explains why he feels it differently, “In her statement she said that it was a place she liked to go with her children and enjoy the outdoors, and that’s a reason, and that’s probably a valid reason in her point of view. I’ve been down there and I come from the state of Washington where it rains a lot and there are actually real wetlands, swamps and cattails and all that stuff. This, if you’ve ever walked this, is an area that has water in it maybe two or three months a year. It’s hard to see this in the normal visualization of what a wetland is.”

Although some people disagree with the specified area being a real wetland, it is permitted to be a wetland regardless of the opinions of those who oppose.

Dr. Berg announced his retirement at a previous board meeting. There have been assumptions that he is retiring because of difficulties with the lawsuit.

Dr. Berg, however, states that it is time for him and his wife to begin their retirement. “Dr. Berg is a person who absolutely loves his job, loves his work. I’ve been sued all my life, that just happens. That’s a part of being superintendent of schools,” he says.

Mrs. Murphy does her best to keep up with the school district and any development plans. She has argued both for and against the district’s plans. She says her intentions are to keep the district from causing any unnecessary harm to the ecosystem.

“I have been actively involved in the affairs of the school district as a parent and a citizen,” says Mrs. Murphy.

“She has a history of suing the school district.” Dr. Berg says about Kim Murphy, “I think two or three times she has sued the school district.”

Not only has the lawsuit prevented the school’s much needed renovations; it has cost the district an estimated amount of 1.2 million dollars.

The wetlands are located behind the high school’s Fine Arts parking lot. It was once an outdoor classroom for Chapin High School science classes but stopped being used and became a dumping ground for the school and local neighborhoods. Those who know about the prior state of the wetlands question where Mrs. Murphy was when the area was being used as a local dumping ground.