New 9th Grader’s Getting Mac Tablets.

Next year’s freshmen class will be the first to be offered a chance to enroll in Chapin’s latest academic program known as the Academic Leadership Academy.  The ALA will focus primarily on developing leadership skills in conjunction with an Honors and Advanced Placement based curriculum.

The program was designed to align Chapin’s educational goals with the qualities that state and national colleges are looking for in their incoming students, such as leadership and creativity.

In order to be accepted into the program, prospective students must complete a two page application and obtain three recommendations from teachers and a community member.  The applications will then be reviewed by a panel of judges who will determine if the applicants meet the criteria for the program.  An estimated fifty students have already sought admittance.

Students who accepted into the program will be offered a challenging curriculum throughout their high school career.  Ninth graders will required to take AP Human Geography and begin a Service Portfolio. This portfolio will eventually total at least 120 hours of community service by the end of their senior year.

The future ninth graders will also be part of a trial program that will give them Mac tablets or iPads. The equipment will be Wi-Fi capable and replace textbooks currently used in the classroom.

“It’s something we are looking at- something to see what we can offer with the iPads. Nothing is set in stone yet. We’re looking for what else is also out there,” Mrs. Pillow said.

Academic Assistant Principal Anne Pillow is in charge of the program and feels the new academy will promote academic excellence using a 21st century model.

“I think today’s students are more inclined with technology and the iPad’s will be more in touch,” said Pillow.

If the trial is successful, then it could be implemented school-wide. While the iPads are still in the development process, the idea is popular with many students.

Senior Hunter McGahee said, “I like that they get an increased education… even if we didn’t get one.  It also gives and incentive to others to do well.”

“The plan is to try it with a small group to see if it works. If it works out well we will see about opening it up to more students,” Mrs. Pillow said.