Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Hall Pass Movie Review

The Orlando Sentinel said that “‘Hall Pass’ is about husbands who talk about sex too much, fantasize too often, and share all this adolescent behavior with each other and with their long-suffering wives.” Frankly, this is true. Hall Pass was a movie created by the “There’s Something About Mary” directors Peter and Bobby Farrelly. These directors, along with Pete Jones and Kevin Barnett, were not sure how to start the script but with a little help from personal experience, Hall Pass was created. Best buds Rick and Fred are the middle aged duo in this comedy. Rick is a real estate agent who dresses in plaid shirts and is devoted to his wife and kids. Fred is a life-insurance salesman who is “about as square as Howdy Doody,” says Entertainment Weekly. When these two men have free time, they daydream about all the things they would do with hot and sexy women if they were single. When they put their thoughts together and talk about it amongst themselves, it gets them both in trouble with their wives. This is when the Hall Pass comes in to play. Fed up with all of their foolishness, Maggie (Rick’s wife) and Grace (Fred’s wife) give their husbands one week off of marriage to do whatever they want without any consequences. Thrilled beyond belief, the guys venture out on a quest to fulfill their fantasies. Along the way, they come across many situations in which they can. My favorite part of the movie was a very steamy situation where Rick is asleep in the hot tub and wakes up with his whole body numb. Two naked men come out of the sauna and try to help him, making it extremely awkward and uncomfortable for Rick. The movie didn’t have a part that I didn’t like. However, the casting director could have gotten better wives. Jenna Fisher and Christina Applegate were not the best actresses for this particular movie. Personally, they could have been a lot better. All in all, this movie deserves a B+ for some moments; however, due to its content it is definitely a good one to see on a girl’s night out. Recommended for mature audiences.