Halloween Turning Too Sexy?

A guy is going to pay more attention to a girl in booty shorts and high heel boots compared to a big bumble bee.  Halloween is many students’ favorite night in October.  As a child, the purpose of Halloween is to dress as a popular character and go trick-or-treating.  However as children get older, their costumes seem to be more and more revealing.  Halloween is basically becoming an excuse for girls and young women to dress in a risqué matter without being judged as much. PartyCityis a great place to buy a Halloween night attire but some might say their costumes for mainly women are getting to be insulting and ridiculous. 

“My view is that girls use Halloween to be able to dress as skimpy as they want because no one can say anything about it,” says junior Teri Burchfield.

In most cases, women do not choose a costume that is appropriate.  However, given that there is not any other options, some women do their best to find the least skanky costume.  In theory, unless women buy a big hot dog suit, they’re going to have a hard time getting away from sexy costumes.  Halloween is meant for children to have a safe and fun night.  So, when did Halloween turn into an excuse to be sexy?  Once girls turn into a teen, costumes start turning from “little girl” costumes such as kitty cats and witches to “love at first bite” vampires and “quick draw cutie” cowgirls.

“I understand girls change but I feel like they should have one night to be a [prostitute],” says a male student atChapinHigh School.

His attitude in saying this is the general feeling about sexy costumes of most males.

“I don’t think girls should do it because it gives guys bad thoughts,” says senior Jacob Corley.

The girls that dress up in inappropriate costumes are usually seeking attention from males, but why? 

“I feel like the girls who do not have a lot of confidence take this night as an opportunity to “show off” and get attention they may not normally get,” says junior Afton Kitchins.

Think about it, it’s always cold on Halloween night and girls look ridiculous running around half dressed.  Maybe girls are unaware of how they appear to others or maybe they just don’t care.  How do their parents feel about them dressing in such a manner?  There must be an underlying cause to this situation.  So, think about it before spending forty to fifty dollars on a playboy bunny costume, what do you want others to think about you?  You owe yourself the respect and pride.  Not saying you need to be the big hot dog of the party but at least cover up to stay warm and keep a good reputation.