Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Minimum wage leads to maximum stress

For most students, the day does not end at the sound of the 3:10 bell.  After a long day of school many students continue to work hard at their other jobs.  The life of a teenage worker is stressful.
Junior Carli Sims admits that working a job has affected her grades, and she struggles to find an even balance.
“Things are so much more complicated since I started working; my grades have dropped because of my job.”
Junior Swain Spearman works hard to find a happy medium between school, work, and extracurricular activities.
 “I have to balance out school, chorus, being the wrestling manger and work.  When it gets too much, I switch shifts with others and I always try and put school above everything else.”
Sometimes there does not seem like there is enough time in the day to get it all accomplished. Sims feels the weighted stress of getting everything accomplished while working an 18 hour work week, “I sacrifice sleep for work. I have to work and I have to do homework. It all has to get done so sometimes sleep has to go.
The day is never over, having to deal with teachers at school, and then bosses, customers and co workers out of school all for the extremely profitable minimum wage. Students admit that workers and customers treat them differently because of their young age. 
Junior Sarah Roof has to wear a different type of shirt to represent her younger age, and lower position at the YMCA. Roof dislikes having a different type of uniform,
 ” It makes me feel inferior they call them the bottom feeder shirts, because we are the lowest position at work.”
Spearman can also relate to being singled out because she is younger while being a hostess at Vellas,
Spearman relates, “They always try to simple things down when I don’t need it and I am not given much responsibility at work.” Her only responsibilities include cleaning the bathrooms, seating people, and helping out the servers when the restaurant gets too busy.
Sometimes customers will even take advantage of a workers young age. Junior Elise Watt often has to deal with aggravating customers while working the register at forever 21.
 “It was my 2nd day and I was working the register by myself and one lady had bought almost $400 worth of clothes and there was a long line forming behind her.  The lady was so picky about how I was folding her clothes, and they became unfolded in the bag. She took the clothes as started folding them herself and yelled at me about my folding. I almost cried.”
Working is an essential factor for most teenagers. It means spending money, and most importantly gas money which means independence. But for some it can be difficult to prioritize work and school. The benefit is receiving the well deserved pay check at the end of the week, but sometimes it comes with a price.