Signing day comes to Chapin

Victor Frick, Julia Van Vollenhoven, and Joey De Mare all signed to college sports from Chapin

Smiling students. Proud parents. College recruiter. It is signing day- a day most high school athletes dream of.  Many people look at signing day as a day high school students sign letters of intent to attend colleges that have recruited them.  Chapin High School has six student-athletes signed to in-state colleges for various sports. Victor Frick signed a letter of intent for Newberry College football and Deej Roberts and Alex Kirby for baseball.  Joey De Mare signed with the College of Charleston to play soccer,  Julia van Vollenhoven signed for Cross-country at USC- Aiken, and Jesse Morris signed at Wofford for baseball.

However for those students involved, it is the culminations of years of hard work wrapped up into a single experience.  Sometimes it is not so much about making it big, and instead just realizing what they have done.

Senior Joey De Mare was ecstatic and relieved when he recently signed with the College of Charleston to play soccer. For DeMare, signing day meant one less thing to worry about.

Demare said, “The contract meant it was finally done and the recruiting process was over, so it felt really good.”

Student- athletes are not alone in their elation.  The day is almost as important to coaches, friends, and family as it is to the signees.

Senior Victor Frick had a lot of support with his difficult decision.  After being scouted by Furman, Wofford, Coastal Carolina , and Presbyterian, Frick decided on Newberry who offered a full-ride scholarship as well as an opening to get more playing time.  Frick stated Coach Earley was instrumental in helping him make his decision.  Frick said, “It was nerve wracking, but Coach Earley helped shine a light on what each opportunity held and give me a different perspective.”

For Deej Roberts, signing day was “really cool, because I got to share my accomplishments with my family and friends.”

As far as the actual contract goes, it is semi- binding.  Signees can back out but it leaves a black mark on their reputation and usually discourages other colleges from pursuing them.  It is lengthy and full of the typical legal jargon that is mostly understood only by lawyers.

Deej Roberts didn’t know specifically what his contract said but on signing day it is not about the legalities of the present.   It is about celebrating the moment.  Roberts said, “I don’t know what was on the contract.  I just signed it.”