Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Braves make postseason push

The Atlanta Braves are seeking their first postseason birth since 2005.  The NL East has been dominated the past three years by the Philadelphia Phillies, who have reached the World Series the past two years.  This year, the Braves hope to hold off the Phillies and make a strong run for the World Series, which would be their first championship appearance since 1999, where they were swept by the New York Yankees.

Led by their strong pitching staff and rookie OF Jason Heyward, Atlanta has held the division lead for a large part of the season.  Braves Manager Bobby Cox, who is in his 32nd season as a manager in the Major Leagues, is rumored to be retiring at the end of this season, which has fueled Atlanta even more to make a postseason run. Cox is a two-time World Series champion, and without a doubt, a future Hall of Famer.

“I think the Braves will win the World Series this year, just for Bobby Cox” said Senior Parker McTeer.  There have been many factors that have helped Atlanta generate their successful season thus far.  Atlanta has relied on its starting pitching all year, behind 15-game winner Tim Hudson, who has an exceptional career ERA of 3.39.  Atlanta Second Baseman Martin Prado has a batting average of .315 this season, which is among the best in the NL.  Third Baseman Chipper Jones was having one of the best years of his career, before tearing his ACL back in on August 10th.

“Chipper’s injury sure is a setback for the Braves, who have had a splendid season so far,” said Junior Rob Willm.

The devastating injury could be a career-ending one, which is very unfortunate for the future Hall of Famer.  Jones’ estimated recovery time is six months, which would allow him to return to the Braves next season, if he chooses to do so.

First Baseman Derrek Lee, who was acquired by Atlanta in a trade with the Chicago Cubs back in August, has not played up to his potential in his brief time with the Braves.  Many thought that the former All- Star First Baseman would be the missing piece to the puzzle the Braves would need to reach the World Series; however, he has not performed up to expectations.

Second Baseman Martin Prado, Pitcher Tim Hudson, Catcher Brian McCann, Third Baseman Omar Infante, and Outfielder Jason Heyward were all voted on to the 2010 National League All-Star team, the most since 2003.