Chapin Basketball Preview

The Chapin High School Varsity Basketball team is entering its third season under Head Coach Mike Burge.  Last year the team had a record of 10-12, and they hope to improve on that this year.

The team lost seniors A.J. Lang, Alex Nicolai, and Bradham Wilder but the returning squad should be able to lead the team to a winning season.

The Eagles have one of the most seasoned teams to hit the court in years. Seniors Brian Kidd, Connor Lowder, Michael Melvin, Bryant Archie, Matthew Hood-Pittenger, Thomas Fitzpatrick and All-Region player Michael Weimer will be the clear cut leaders of the team. Many members think a Region 3A championship is entirely possible this year.  However, tough opponents such as Lower Richland, Brookland-Cayce, AC Flora, and Dreher could stand in their way.

“We’ve all been playing together since the ninth grade, and we’re the type of guys who never give up.  Hopefully we’ll provide key leadership that will help us win some games,” said Senior Michael Melvin.

Chapin kicks off their season at the Lexington Tip-Off classic against White Knoll November 22.  The first home game is December 3 against Mid-Carolina. Coach Burge and the team will be looking for a lot of support this year from the student body at home games.

“We’re encouraging everyone to come out to the home games for us.  We need a big student section this year.  Our team feeds off the Chapin crowd and the students being there would really help!” said Senior Brian Kidd.