• New Stories on 2-115-19

Filed under Student Government

Chapin Hosts SCASC Convention

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chapin Hosts SCASC Convention

McCuen Bland( 4th from left in the back row), Gresham Gunter( 3rd from right in second row), Banks Todd( 2nd from right in the front row) along with members of CHS and other SC school's student governments

At last year’s South Carolina Association of Student Councils(SCASC) convention at Easley High School, Chapin High’s student body Vice President Banks Todd was elected the SCASC president. Because of this, this year’s convention will be held at Chapin High from March 29th to 31st. It will feature various student- led workshops and discussion topics, elections for next year’s SCASC board, and guest speakers.┬áStudents from visiting schools around South Carolina will either be staying at the homes of CHS student government members or at local hotels.

Banks was not the only member of Chapin student government to be elected. Senior Gresham Gunter was elected Corresponding secretary, senior McCuen Bland was elected recording secretary, junior Gracie Culley was elected co-vice chairman, and freshman Emma Carter was elected 2nd vice chairman.

Senior Banks Todd said he was grateful to be apart of SCASC. “Being president gives me the opportunity to meet so many more people and to have a bigger say. I love it.”

He also spoke about Chapin being selected for the conference. “Chapin High School is one of the best high schools in the state, and the rest of the state deserves to see how amazing it is. It’s going to be a chaotic weekend here, but people are going to leave amazed. It’s something we’ve always wanted to do, and now we area able to do it.”

Freshman Emma Carter also spoke about being elected to the SCASC board. “I love it so much,” she said. “I really enjoy being around people who share the same interests and dedication for SCASC.”

This conference is one of the last chances for to be involved in a large student government event. Banks looked back on his time in student government, saying, “Student government has helped me be apart of something that’s bigger than myself. Because of it, I want to be involved in everything. It’s really sad knowing that it’s my last year in student government, but all the seniors have made a lasting impact. We’ve done our time and now it’s time for the class of 2020 to step up.”

About the Writer
Naomi Horner, Staff Reporter

Naomi is in the 11th grade. Shen enjoys hanging out with friends, spending time outside, and watching Netflix. She mainly covers student life.