New music for spring

Music lovers everywhere will rejoice in this spring’s newest album releases. New tracks will be blaring from the radio not only from veteran superstars but also from more obscure, up and coming bands.

First the Gorillaz’s new CD “Plastic Beach” releases on March 9. This always original band has come up with an increasingly innovative album that combines a myriad of genres from rap to orchestra. This band has never gone with the same style for an album twice, which has unquestionably led to their massive popularity.

Vocals from Damon Albarn, formerly of the Blur, give many of the songs their trademark melancholy sound and appearances from artists such as Mos Def, this album is guaranteed to make any party automatically cooler.

New songs include the already huge hit, “Stylo”, which has become famous not only on the radio but also for its masterful music video on Youtube featuring Bruce Willis.

Next is the soon to be released “Year of the Black Rainbow” by Coheed and Cambria. Making its debut on April 13, this highly anticipated album is sure to live up to its long time fans’ expectations.

Already released is the hit single “Here we are Juggernaut” which is reflective of the band’s former song style. With the 250 pounds of big haired lead singer Claudio Sanchez’s high pitched vocals set to intricately progressive rock melodies, this new CD is sure to be as successful as in the past.

Finally, a local band will soon be releasing its first album. Villanova from Columbia, SC has already become hugely popular among the local night scene and is finally expanding to nation -wide fame.

The album, “Things I have to Say”, will include songs such as “Hard to be Around” and “Memory” which is one of  the most requested radio songs in this area.

Villanova, whose style is a very soulful type rock recently played at the St. Pat’s festival at Five Points. “I really like them a lot,” says senior Annie Lee. “I can’t wait to but their new CD.”