Christmas celebrations differ around the world

Santa Claus, Christmas carols, presents and food– That is what Christmas is about for a lot of people.  While the basics are mostly the same, it is the differences in the details that add a special touch to each family holiday celebration.

But how do people outside the U.S. celebrate Christmas?  Turns out the heart of the holiday is generally the same but each country or culture adds their own unique element to make it special.

For example, Christmas in Great Britain shares many of the same customs as America

“We have presents under the Christmas tree in the morning after Santa has come and the family comes throughout the day. We exchange gifts afterwards and we get together for a big Christmas dinner,” said Gemma Stewart who lived in Scotland when she was younger.

While that is one of many similarities, most Scots and Brits skip one American tradition- Church.
In America, the Christmas season starts the day after Thanksgiving with a lot of families putting up decorations over the weekend.  Germany, along with many other countries, make Christmas a month long holiday as well.

One tradition that many American families have is the countdown to Christmas where various methods are used to mark the days off as the big day approaches.  Well, that tradition has its roots in Germany when the first printed calendar was created by Gerhard Lang in the late nineteenth century.

“Starting at the first of December you have a small present- for example candy- every day. The usual advent calendar is just a small board with 24 doors where you can find a small piece of chocolate every day. But many mothers make small presents for their children,” explains German exchange student Berith Wachsmuth.

One tradition that Americans do not share is St. Nicklaus Day, December 6.  The evening before people place a pair of shoes in front of their door and during the night St. Nicklaus (not to be confused with Santa Claus) fills them with candies and a small present.  Think of it as a Christmas Eve test run.

But the main time for celebration is the night of the 24th December.  This night, whether in Cologne or Chapin, is celebrated in much the same way.

“Usually, people celebrate the birth of Jesus by going to church, eating together at night and opening the presents,” said Wachsmuth.

After this main Christmas night, there is a first Christmas day and a second Christmas day for spending time with their families.

But not every country celebrates Christmas in December.

In Russia where the open celebration of Christmas was banned from 1917- 1992, people celebrate the birth of Jesus on January 7 but the present part is part of the New Year celebration.

“This is just a religious holiday. We get presents at New Years Eve,” explains Polina Kopylova who used to live in Russia.

Countries without a strong Christian population may not even celebrate the day at all.

For example in China and Japan people do not really celebrate Christmas.