The New Harry Potter Is Magical!

As everyone is aware, the beloved Harry Potter movies are coming to a close with the release of the first half of the final movie. Since the first book in the series was released in 1997, it has drastically affected the lives of many people. But the question is why? What makes the Harry Potter books and movies stand out from all of the other books and movies about magic?

Maybe it’s the shocking amount of detail that Rowling pours into her books. The wizard world has its own laws, drinks, games, even desserts. Or maybe it’s the suspense – each time Harry has escaped the clutches of Lord Voldemort he falls right back again. Harry’s mysterious past – who his parents were, his early childhood, and his magical family – is also a large source of mystery that keeps readers hanging.

However, the biggest thing that keeps readers glued to the pages is the way Harry and his friends always triumph over Voldemort and his death eater’s force.

Junior Brooke Bauer says, “The books are so special because they take you away from reality for a while with magical magic, unwavering loyalty, and suspense on every page.”

Whatever the reason, the books are a roaring success, unsurprisingly.

Sophomore Abraham Marsh prefers the books because “the movies are more violent. The movies also leave out a lot of key points in the plot.”

Who could forget in the Deathly Hallows when Ron and Hermione finally share a kiss? Or in the Chamber of Secrets when Ron vomits slugs? Who could possibly resist the allure of quidditch with its brooms, multiple goals, and various balls? Sophomore Amanda Kaiser’s favorite part of the story is “when Hermione slaps Malfoy. It was awesome!”

Harry Potter put a little bit of magic into a lot of childhoods, and now seeing it end is a tad depressing.

Sophomore Mary Efird’s childhood was affected quite a bit.

“I was an odd child, so Harry Potter fueled my imagination. There was a lot of jumping out of trees with brooms and shouting spells at people.”  However, the magical world is far from dead. Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida opened their Harry Potter theme park last June. Also, the recent release is just the first of a two part finale. The second half of the final book is coming out in 2011. As for the first half that came out Friday the 19th, the midnight premier attracted many.

Sophomore Storm Ewing attended.

“It was so crowded, every theater was sold out. People were dressed up, one guy looked exactly like Draco (Malfoy). There were also many adorned in Gryffindor colors of scarlet and gold. The movie followed the book closely; I thought it was really well done. It ended in a huge cliffhanger which made for a lot of suspense.”

The movie includes the death of many beloved characters, which makes watching it bittersweet. However, Harry Potter is an excellent way to escape to a world where people can fly, owls are pets, and magic is an everyday occurrence.