Call it what you will. But I think it’s Fate.

We all have problems with friends, your best friend ditched you at a party or they forgot your birthday. What about when you fell in love with your best friend’s boyfriend? Lani and Erin are bonded for life when she saved her in a car accident when they were little and since then they have been inseparable. And one thing that connects them is their fascination of fate. Lani wonders how much of our lives have already been decided and how much we can actually influence. When Lani assumes that Jason (the teen heart throb at their school) likes Erin she puts aside her feelings for him so that Erin is happy. And they later Erin and Jason become a couple.
Then when the summer comes up and Erin goes to camp, everything changes. Lani is finally able to allow Jason to know her true feelings. In a letter Jason breaks up with Erin and starts hanging out with Lani. Through out the whole summer they become friends, then something more. Lani loves her best friend Erin and doesn’t want to damage their strong relationship but the stars say her and Jason are meant to be together. One small detail Jason failed to let Lani know, is that Erin is back from camp and they both know that its time to tell her about their relationship. When school is only a week away she finds out about there relationship through a friend. Then a website, rumors, and her best friend almost ruin her junior year. The website says nasty things about Lani saying she a backstabber and a no good friend who can’t be trusted. Rumors spread about how she was planning to steal Jason from Lani. And then when Lani thinks that nothing could get any worse she finds out that it was Erin who put up the website, made the rumors and wanted to ruin Jason and Lani’s relationship.
School, friends and having your best friend hate you isn’t a good mix for a teenage girl. And on top of it all having the hottest guy in school want you as there boyfriend, is the cherry on top of the ice cream. This is what could happen to anyone. This book could help anyone get through something like this. It would even help people to deal with friends telling you not to date the person you love.
The book ends with a sore friendship and the cutest guy you know on your arm, but is that what Lani wants for the end of her junior year?