Science team brings home wins

You’ve heard of the Super bowl, the Olympics, March Madness I’m sure. But what about the Science Bowl, Olympiad, or Envirothon?  These prestigious academic competitions are part of many activities that the science team partakes in.

The science team, coached by Mrs. Paula Bartholomew and Dr. Lisa Ruth, is one of winningest academic teams at CHS.

Recently, the team competed in the SC-GA Regional Science Bowl, The South Carolina Science Olympiad, and the South Carolina Envirothon.

The Science Bowl team placed fifth at the South Carolina- Georgia Regional Science Bowl at USC- Aiken on February 2. Then, on March 19, the Science Olympiad team competed at Newberry College, placing seventh. They also received the George J Renwick Sportsmanship Award.

In the Science Olympiad, Bobby Morgan and Natalie Harper finished fourth in the helicopters competition. Gemma Stewart and Patrick Bush finished third in the chemistry lab competition. Mac Welsh and Michelle Castine finished first in the mousetrap vehicle competition. Bobby Morgan and Clinton Welsh finished third in Fossils. William Welsh and Jacob Bowers finished first in the Remote Sensing category.    Clinton Welsh and Grace McCartha finished third in the Protein Modelling competition.  Overall, the team placed in five out of twenty categories

Any students interested in competing for next year should contact Dr. Ruth.