Cupcake Policy not so sweet

One of the most controversial new policies atChapinHigh Schoolis what students and staff have dubbed the Cupcake Policy. As most know, the Cupcake Policy says students may not bring and share homemade food. It must be store bought, prepackaged and have the nutritional information printed clearly on the label. Contrary to popular belief it was not the result of the laxatives put in brownies atDutchForkHigh School. It was actually created to avoid allergy situations.

Needless to say CHS students hate the new policy. They say it takes away from birthday celebrations and discourages sharing. Personally, I agree with the intentions of the policy but I feel that it is rather unnecessary. Of course the District’s concern for students’ health is respectable, but if at 14 years old a student does not have enough common sense to know not to eat something they’re allergic to I think they need a little more help than the Cupcake Policy.

It would be more understandable if this wasChapinElementary Schoolor evenChapinMiddle School, but it seems ridiculous in a high school. Just as many teachers say, their jobs are to prepare us for the real world. With the maturity that is required in high school comes more responsibility, which should include knowing what you can and cannot eat. Where a third grader may not think to ask if a cookie was gluten-free, a ninth grader should know to ask.

Like the majority of the student body, I enjoy having parties in class and bringing food for friends. I love it when someone makes me cupcakes for my birthday, and I love to share them with my classmates. I don’t think the district should take that away over such a superfluous policy. We work hard and deserve a treat every once in a while. Personally, I will never go to the store to buy sweets for someone’s birthday and the only way I would do it for class is if it were for extra credit, but that is not allowed anymore either.

Ultimately, the Cupcake Policy is not the end of the world, nor is it the worst thing to happen to CHS. While I wish the district would take into account our age, I understand they are trying to watch out for us. I don’t think any teachers will take enforcing the policy to the extreme, and I’m glad that they made exceptions for Otis Spunkemeyer cookies and Monkey Ice. It makes the policy much more bearable. I can always sneak my friends their cupcakes at lunch or give them to them on the weekends.