District musical planned: Footloose provides chance for all schools to shine

Footloose the musical is coming to Chapin High School—and Dutch Fork and Irmo, too. The three high schools are preparing to put on the first district musical ever.

The musical will be directed by DFHS drama teacher Lyle Browne and choreographed by DFHS dance teacher Ginny Haynes. It will be funded through donations and fundraising and any money raised from ticket sales will go towards hosting another district musical next year.

Auditions will be held at Harbison West Elementary on January 30th and 31st from 4:30 to 7:30, but students only need to attend one day. Students and staff from all three schools are encouraged to audition. Callbacks will be February 2nd, though not everyone who has received a part will be called back.

Some CHS students, like senior Melanie Hood-Pittenger, are excited for the musical.

“It’s going to be an adventure. I think it will be a lot of fun to show off not only Chapin’s talent, but Dutch Fork and Irmo’s, too,” Hood-Pittenger said.

Footloose showcases acting, dancing, band, and singing, so nearly every student with talent in the performing arts can find a part to audition for. Freshman Shayla Flores will be auditioning as a dancer.

“I love to dance so it’s really great that there is so much dancing involved. I think Footloose was a good choice,” Flores said.

Other students, however, are more nervous about auditions.

“I really love to act but I’m not sure if I’m going to audition because I don’t like singing in front of people. I really want to be a part of the play, though, so hopefully there are parts that don’t require singing,” senior Mary Estep said.

The first performance will be April 18th at the Midlands Tech Harbison Theater. Junior Ben Davis worries that it is too soon.

“I considered auditioning but decided against it because it’s in two months. It’s going to take a lot of effort and I’m just not sure if I have the time, but I’m sure they will do great. I will definitely watch it,” Davis said.

As the Fine Arts Departments of the three schools will be working together to make Footloose a success, director Browne is not worried about a time shortage. The drama teachers at Chapin and Irmo will assist with directing and other teachers and students will contribute as much as they can.

Still, some students are not sure that the schools will be able to cooperate.

“I don’t think it’s going to work because these schools are very competitive. I don’t see them working together very well,” Junior Cole Morgan said.

Browne is not worried about this.

“As far as rivalries go, the only rivalry that should exist is how many from each school will audition. After auditions we will be District 5, not the individual schools,” he said.