Renovations begin along with inconveniences

Lexington-Richland School District 5 went to South Carolina’s Supreme Court on the issue of the delayed renovations on Wednesday, January 11 with high hopes that a decision would be reached. Their hopes came true when the court ruled that renovations would start.

Currently, renovations have begun and students and staff members wander through the construction site that also serves as their high school.

Eventually, there will be many new additions for future students to be proud of, but the additions also include a few growing pains.

Current students are making adjusts to walking through the school with the loss of half of the science wing, making it a tight squeeze in the 200 hall.  Students “pile up” on the ramp that leads into the building from the portables and gyms. The situation has made for less time to socialize between classes but for the most part students have adjusted to the traffic.

Senior Caitlin Kitchens who is on crutches said, “It’s a lot harder getting to class, especially in certain areas. I have been late a couple of times, but they [teachers] have been pretty lenient.”

Perhaps the biggest change is the move of the main office, guidance and attendance which are now located in portables between the Fine Arts building and the main building. Attendance and the nurse’s station are now in portable 25. Guidance is in portable 27 and the main office is in portable 28.

Teachers have been moved and students must get used to the routine of finding their new classrooms as well as maneuvering around the school.

“We’re trying to make the best of it until we get the new building which our labs should be state of the art. The silver lining is we will have better labs,” said science teacher Karen Walton.

English teacher Jennifer Henry was unable to move into her classroom for over a week because it had not passed safety clearance.  She was able to procure space in theMediaCenterin the meantime.

“[My moving into the portable] was inconveniencing the library for a week because I didn’t have a classroom. It’s inconvenient when you can’t access your files and your teaching materials because it’s in your portable and you can’t get in there,” said Henry.

Henry has been able to settle into portable 26 and her classes are back in full swing.

While the changes have not been flawless, it seems that most students have already made the necessary route alterations and found a new rhythm for their day-to-day routine.

There is still much in store forChapinHigh School. The renovation process will take over tow years. The final phase which includes the existing gym being turned into a cafeteria, will be completed in August 2014.

District 5 Superintendent, Stephen Hefner said, “We are excited about the plans we now have to provide a first-class facility for the students ofChapinHigh School. [The students] will be provided with a facility that reflects the high quality programs that Chapin High is known for.”