Students take voting lightly

“Romney or Obama? Why?”

When I went person to person asking this question for our student poll I was expecting a certain type of answer. Chapin is a very conservative town, so it was a given that I would get a lot of Romney fans. What worried me was the reasoning many students gave for their choice.

Many students based their decisions on anything but facts and policies. Some of the most ridiculous reasons given were: “Romney because ‘Merica,” “Obama because he is black,” and “Romney because I’m a republican.”

Most students admitted that they have the same political views as their parents. This makes sense because our parents have a great influence on our morals and beliefs, but it is still dangerous. It is important that we form our own opinions.

While I would consider myself Republican, I am not extremely conservative. It would kill my dad to read this, but I think that both candidates have pros and cons to them, and I am not particularly impressed with either of them. I would still vote for Romney if I could, but not just because he is the Republican candidate. I genuinely believe that he can do more for our country than Obama can, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and my goal is not to change yours. I just wish students would have one, and that they would base it on policies and factors that actually affect our country.

Many of the seniors this year can vote in the election, and everyone will be able to vote in the next one. I know that it feels like one vote can’t change anything, but thousands of votes together can. Chances are you are not the only one with a particular view point, and if enough people believe in something they can make a change.

It is incredibly important, though, that you’re voting for your beliefs and not anyone else’s. Don’t base your opinion on just what your parents, teachers, or friends say. What is best for them may not work for everyone else. If you vote a certain way just because they do, you are essentially giving up your right to vote and giving them two. So please, do your research, watch the debates, and figure out what you truly believe. You can still listen to what other people have to say and it is fine if their beliefs influence yours. Just make sure you’re not letting their beliefs determine yours, because a vote is a powerful thing and you shouldn’t waste yours. It should reflect your honest opinion, not just what everyone else is doing.

One vote won’t change the world or even your town. No one will look back in history and say, “On that day, Erika voted for Romney. Let’s all take a moment to appreciate this.” It can still make a difference, though. Our country is founded on democracy, and without voting we wouldn’t be the nation we are today. Why would you give up your right to make a difference?

An online quiz that can help you determine your political affiliation is www.isidewith.com.