Common School Myths Busted

They are told by students and believed by many. These are myths about school rules. Some are funny, some are half truths, but they are all too good to be true.

MYTH ONE:  If a student has an acdicent in their pants, they can get 5 to 8 days out for public embarrassment.

FACT OR FAKE: FAKE

“In the 30 years I have been working here, I have never heard of that rule or know of that ever happening,” said assistant principal Mrs.Shealy.

MYTH TWO: Students, who are 18 or older, can sign themselves out of school, and sign their own syllabus.

FACT OR FAKE: FAKE

“If a student is fully emancipated from their parents, by the court of law then they can sign themselves out. In the six years, I have been here, I have only known of one student who could,” said Attendance Assistant coach Honea.

MYTH THREE: If a teacher does not show up to class in 20 minutes then students can leave school without getting in trouble.

FACT OR FAKE: FAKE

“In high school we are liable for everyone. That rule is only true in college. If a college professor doesn’t show up in 20 minutes then the students can leave,” said administrator Mr. Sullivan. “I don’t think we ever had a teacher show up 20 minutes late without a substitute coming in,” said Mrs. Shealy.  “Leaving school if a teacher doesn’t show up is still cutting class.”

MYTH  FOUR: If the power is out for over two hours then school is canceled.

FACT OR FAKE: BOTH

“It all depends on the situation.  If the waterline is broken and the bathrooms aren’t working then school is out. However the principal doesn’t cancel school the superintendent does. If the power is out and can’t be fixed then school can be cancelled, during that situation the principal will be in contact with the superintendent and if the superintendent says that school is canceled then it is canceled,” said Mrs. Shealy.

MYTH  FIVE: If a student is up past 10:59pm for school events such as sports or R.O.T.C, then that student is given an excused absence for their first block class the following day.

FACT OR FAKE: FAKE

As good as it sounds that rule is totally false. “There is no rule that says that,” said Mrs. Shealy. “Parents might let their kid sleep in if they are up late for a school event, but that is still an unexcused absence.”

MYTH  SIX: If an underclassmen is caught sitting in any of senior only areas then they will be written up.

FACT OR FAKE: BOTH

“That usually doesn’t happen, but if an underclassman is in one of the senior nooks then they will be asked to leave and if they refuse to leave then they will get a write up but that does not happen a lot,” said Mrs.Shealy.

MYTH  SEVEN: Parent notes are always excused.

FACT OR FAKE: FAKE

“Sick notes written by parents are only excused for 5 days,” said coach Honea.

MYTH  EIGHT:  A teacher can access a student’s computer account.

FACT OR FAKE: FAKE

“All school computers are monitored and can be accessed by the district, but no teachers can access a student’s account,” said Mrs. Shealy. 

So why are all these rules believed by so many students?

“People always want to make excuses so they will believe in any rule like the 11:00 clock rule,” said Senior Jessica Volin.