Political Hours Make up for Seniors Apathy

Every senior at Chapin High School will take U.S. Government as part of their graduation requirements. A part of the course requirement is political hours.  Political hours were devised as a motivational device used to encourage students to become more active in the overall political process. 

“The whole idea is to get people involved and see how politics work on a local level,” said U.S Government teacher Mr. Tom Painter.

Political hours can be gained in a variety of different ways.

“Self interest is the best way to get people to do something and political hours use self interest to get students involved,” said senior Mac Welsh. Most students will do anything for their hours, even if that means showing up to an actual political event that they care nothing about.

A few options include attending school board meetings or working for political candidates or political organizations.

“One of my students last year got a job working for Jim Rex,” said Mr. Painter.

One of the most visible results of student participation in the political hours process is the formation of the Young Democrats and the Young Republicans clubs in recent years. Many events at Chapin High are supported by seniors looking for hours. The most recent political hour event was the winter semi-formal. Many seniors had fun while collecting hours. The ticket sales also helped raise money for the Justin Pepper Foundation last December.

“I would say that about 99 percent of the seniors at school political events are only there for political hours,” said senior Mac Welsh.

The political hour requirement also helps Student Government since many students are granted political hours for attending government sponsored events like the winter semi-formal dance and BuffPuff.

“Political hours help increase the turnout for a lot of stuff we do. The senior class does an awesome job showing up to House Meetings,” said senior student government member Hillary Suber.

While many enjoy political hours, some feel the process is unrewarding.

“It can get boring sometimes,” said senior Will Reid.

A lot of students don’t see the point of political hours.

“It’s unnecessary. There are better ways to learn about politics like watching the news or reading the news paper,” said senior Brandon McCaslin.

Ok so maybe watching the news is a little more informative on government than a school dance or a house meeting.

Political hours do one thing that the news doesn’t. “They give students a chance to get involved and see government in action,” said U.S. government teacher Mr. Painter.

“Political hours are a unique way to learn about government. As a voter I will stay involved,” said senior will Reid.

View Comments (1)