Chapin students like playing in the mud

The engines rev and the roaring crowd gets excited as Senior Doug Barnwell jumps into his lifted Dodge Ram waiting for his time to hit the mud. He is determined to show the crowd how a real country boys does it. The “it” is Mud bogging, a pastime that started out with modified pick up trucks but has emerged into a full-fledged sport. The sport now consists of utility vehicles modified with lifted suspensions and large tires, with divisional racing and corporate sponsors. While the trucks have changed, the exhilaration has not.
“Mud bogging is no different from the 1970s and 1980s from today’s mud bogging you still have fun and you get all muddy,” stated long-time mud bogger John Canady.
Some people, like senior Jordan Starnes, go all out and get really serious about the sport. In preparation for the recent Wagner-Sally Mud Bog challenge, Starnes purchased expensive tires specially designed to maintain traction through the deeper mud holes that are part of every course. His 84’ Chevy has a suspension lift that keeps his motor above the waterline more than the average truck. His customized straight pipes are loud so everybody will remember him. That way the fans know when their favorite driver is coming up.
Starnes says, “This sport might be expensive but I love and enjoy the fun of it so, I don’t care how much it cost just if I do well in the end.”
Barnwell states,” I really hope that I make it to the end this time and nothing locks down on me. I am just ready to throw some mud in the air.”
Rocky Floyd, a junior, is a member of the Mid-State mud bogging association. He drives a 1984 F-150 that goes through like a chainsaw through Jello.
Hunter Berry is another young member of the mud bogging association. Hunter states he is ready to hit the holes and see what he is capable of doing.
“I really wish they had dug them out more,” Hunter says. “Some people think there is a difference between mudding and mud bogging but it really is not a difference you play in the mud either way and you have a wonderful time out here.”