Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Behavior Contracts – Let’s Make A Deal

Behavior contracts – whether you’ve been on one, heard of one, or broken one, they seem to be as old as the school itself. While many students have certainly heard the term, not everyone knows what exactly a behavior contract is. A behavior contract is a formal agreement between an administrator and a student. Written to specify each student’s behavior, the retribution should the contract be broken is unique. “A behavior contract is specific to each student”, says administrator Mike Aimes. “We base it on the student’s individual violation of school policy. The punishment could be any number of things.”  But as we all know, with or without a contract, the school can choose to punish a student in any manner they choose.

“I think it’s affective,” says Aimes “Provided the student actually wants to change their behavior and be successful at school, it’s a tool we can use to help them.” Others disagree. “Behavior contracts don’t work at all”, exclaims sophomore Amanda Kaiser. “When people have habits they don’t like to break them.” Regardless of the kind of behavior they inspire, they are definitely in use at Chapin High. Senior Zach Gause is currently on a behavior contract of his own. His contract states that if he is caught with drugs again he’ll be expelled and reported to the police.  “I didn’t exactly sign mine and turn it in” says Gause. “I didn’t bother because even if I don’t agree, they can punish me anyway. But that won’t happen, because I’m a good boy.”

“I’ve never had any kind of trouble with administration.” Kaiser explains. “But if I did, I don’t think a simple agreement I was forced into would change my behavior.”

Habits do run deep, and behavior contracts are a habit at Chapin High School. “If a student is genuine in his or her desire to be here, learn, and be successful then I think it works among students” finishes Aimes.