#totweet or #nottotweet

Twitter has become a popular site at Chapin High School as many students have created accounts and started to “tweet”.  While most students love the website, there are always two views on a popular topic, and some are against twitter.

Twitter was created in March of 2006 and put online in July of that year; the site was originally created as a messenger for smalls groups of people but has since morphed into the next big social networking site. There are many reasons for its growing popularity, one of which is the appreciation for freedom of speech.

Junior @BlissMcCathern said, “I love twitter because it is a place where I can express my feelings towards the government and how much I miss my ex girlfriends.”

With two popular but very different websites, Twitter and Facebook, most students prefer one to the other. Junior @paige_weiss chooses Twitter.

“I like Twitter more than Facebook because it is a lot more secluded and people express all of their feelings without even thinking about it before they tweet it.”

While some prefer the openness of twitter, other students, like senior Colton Beasley, base their preference on ease of use.

“I don’t like twitter because it takes too long to do simple tasks that you can do more easily on Facebook,” Beasley said.

Students who don’t like the website also argue that Twitter is nothing more than a place for users to talk about themselves.

“Everyone feels the need to say where they are and what they’re doing. It’s like Facebook but worse,” senior Mitchell Cornett said.

Students that enjoy twitter disagree and claim that there is more to twitter than that. Senior @Elle_Bow uses it to communicate and joke with friends.  

“I tweet about the back urn and being country strong with @addyschelble and @j_barnicle.”

While the majority of students at CHS enjoy Twitter and what it has to offer, it is a matter of personal preference. The few students that dislike Twitter may not understand what other students get from using Twitter, or they may just dislike social networking.