Surprise…It’s Underwear!

Wake up and it is Christmas morning. You quickly jump out of bed and run eagerly towards the Christmas tree, looking for all the presents that could be yours. Finally, everyone comes into the living room and you open your first gift and it’s a book; a boring, old, classic novel that you will probably never open,

To most people, Christmas is the best time of the year. Everyone loves waking up and opening presents excited to see what hides under the delicately wrapped boxes in hopes of that one thing they wanted. Then there is that awkward moment when the wrapping paper is torn off, the box is open, and the present inside is not anything close to the gifts that were to be expected.

Whether it is the Barbie Doll a 16 year old girl is getting from her grandma or the green and red striped Christmas sweater with a moose pattern that a high school boy gets from his aunt, we have all received a gift that is undeniably disappointing.

The worst gifts that people receive are age inappropriate, things that won’t be used or worn. Recently, TV show host named Jimmy Kimmel asked parents to wrap a terrible Christmas gift, give it to their kids, and then tape their reactions when they open the gift. (Go to chapinclaw.com to view the video) The site had more than 15 million viewers. The video just goes to show that the old saying, “it’s the thought that really counts” is not true.

Most teenagers can shrug off a bad gift, politely say “thank you,” and move on hoping the next one to come is better. But there is a side that makes teenagers want to throw tantrums and cry just like the kids in the Jimmy Kimmel videos.

Chapin High School students and staff had their fair amounts of worst gifts and still feel disappointed to know that someone would actually get such a horrible gift.