Teen Movement for Christ brings students together for fellowship

High school students today can find it hard to represent their beliefs.  It can be even harder to encourage others to do the same.  Sometimes a student might feel like  he or she is not doing enough to show faith and have no idea how to fix it.  This is the way senior Evan Mason felt before he decided to tackle both issues by starting the facebook group Teen Movement for Christ.

“I want other people to see that there are a lot of other kids around here and in school that aren’t going out and partying. They do represent Christ in their actions,” said Mason.

He started the page about a month ago after coming to the conclusion that today’s teens were lacking in their commitment to their Christian beliefs., In that time, the group has grown to over 1300 members.

Mason decided a facebook group would be a great way to spread his message and gives others a chance to do the same.  People can post bible verses, quotes, their testimonies and Christian music. 

“I felt like I needed to do more for God than I already was. I wanted to make a difference in Chapin,” said Mason.

The group has not limited itself to just the social network. With the assistance of school chaplain Taylor Frick and with permission from Mr. Ross, they held a tailgate type TMC event before the Chapin-Newberry football. 

Member, non-members, and family were welcome to enjoy the food, fun and fellowship. There was a good turnout and many member commented that evening and later on facebook how great it was to see so many Christian teens gathered in one place at one time outside of church.

At the event junior Elizabeth Hancock said, “I think it is awesome! It is really great and fun for everyone to get together.”

Mason hopes the success of their first event will hopefully lead to more and continue showing teens that it is important to represent Christ in their everyday lives.

“Thanks to all who came to the event yesterday before the game! It was great to see us come together in person and praise the Lord. God is good!” posted Mason.