Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

A “Legit” Article

You know what’s really stupid? Some people’s current use of the English language. People, especially teenagers, seem to think using words improperly or abbreviating them sounds modern or sophisticated. They thought wrong.

Take “legit” for example. In case you live under a rock, “legit” is a shortened form of legitimate. The dictionary definition of the word legitimate is ” lawful, or according to law.”  Now explain this quote to me – “Dude, I need a legit shower.”

This is what I mean when I say improper.  Apparently, this person wanted a shower that was lawful. So what’s the difference between a “legit” shower and a normal shower? Is a “non-legit” shower an unlawful shower? How on earth is a shower lawful in the first place?

Another example of language abuse is the term “sick”. This one is a personal favorite. The other day I heard someone call a band “sick.” The definition of the word sick is to be “afflicted with ill health or disease.”  So is this person saying that all of the members of Death Cab For Cutie are about to throw up. This makes no sense whatsoever.

However, these are only a few examples in the appalling selection of slang available. There’s “preesh” which is an unholy abbreviation of appreciate. Another abbreviation is “presh” which derived from precious. I don’t need to go on.

Is it really that hard to add a couple of extra syllables or maybe look up the word before you use it? It gets me “legit” aggravated, so I would “preesh” if you would think before you speak.

View Comments (1)