Reality TV Has Issues

Short, orange, and extremely loud – Nicole Polizzi, or as m

ost of America knows her, Snooki, is a pint sized bundle of drunken indecency. Snooki’s rise to fame came via the hit MTV show, The Jersey Shore, which is one of hundreds of reality TV shows. What’s ironic about this particular show is that everyone on the cast prides themselves in being a “guido” or “guidette” which is slang for an Italian. However, the only member of the cast that actually has Italian relatives is Vinny Guadagnino. Among the Jersey Shore, several popular shows include The Hills, Flavor of Love, Keeping up with Kardashians, Real Housewives of New Jersey, and, of course, Survivor. The longest running reality television show is Cops. From catching ruthless criminals to the blunt issue of survival to finding love to observing the lives of the rich and famous, these shows cover all types of interests. And while no one can deny that the shows are entertaining, there have definitely been debates on the content. In the three seasons of the Jersey Shore there have been countless scenes, (of one night stands), drinking, and an extremely colorful vocabulary. In one particularly racy episode of Keeping up with the Kardashians the youngest sister, Khloe, took nude photos for her husband – on national television.

With irrefutably controversial content on the show, one might be curious about what attracts people to the shows. Sophomore Jennings Stroud says “Watching the lives of the people on these shows makes me feel better about myself. It raises my self esteem”. For anyone who has ever watched the Jersey Shore, this is quite understandable. While some love the shows for their irresistible train wreck effect, others hate them for the same reason. “I hate them because it’s all scripted. None of its real,” says sophomore Caleb Bagley. Regardless, they’ve become a staple part of American culture. Magazines often have updates of celebrities’ lives, but lately they’ve started covering reality stars, too. And the shows are even reaching other parts of the globe.

Some of the more famous moments of the shows are almost impossible to have not seen. Student intern Susan McDonald says “The craziest thing I’ve seen on reality television is when a girl on the Amazing Race had a watermelon slingshot into her face. I have no idea how she didn’t die.”

The crazy world of reality TV doesn’t appeal to everyone. But love them or hate them, they’re here and they will go out of their way to get attention.