High School teaches more than education

For many students, high school seems to mean nothing more than a burden of waking up early and being held “in captivity” for eight hours. However, at one point or another, students realie how much more high school has provided than just an education.

High school helps differentiate oneself from peers and discover who one truly is.

I remember being a freshman, walking through those doors for the first time, intimidated by the upperclass students and wishing for everyone to approve of me. Now, I’m a senior and I’ve walked through those doors hundreds of times. One thing is different though, I know who I am; other’s opinions indifferent.

High school builds character and shapes personalities, the traits and habits that tend to last a life time. High school is where life long friendships are found and memories that will never be forgotten are built.

It is a time of firsts: first car, first team, first date, first job. This time frame comes with many other experiences that are major milestones in a person’s life.

I entered high school as a freshman, not really knowing who I was, as do many freshmen. But now, looking back, I have realized how much I have grown as an individual by going through the motions of high school.

I know what kind of person I want to be, and what kind I don’t. Through education and employment I have learned responsibility as well as how to balance my time. I have also made some of the best friends that have had a major affect on my life.

However, high school teaches one very important, cliche, yet couldn’t be closer to the truth, lesson to be yourself.

As a senior, I have built confidence and a sense of self that I did not have at the beginning of high school. Sometime throughout the last four years that was builg and obtained.

High school teaches so much more than just an education. It provides that necessary path for an individual to learn about themselves, what is important, and who they are to become.