Do I have to write this?

Senioritis. You knew this story was coming, because it comes up every year around this time. Honestly, I could live without writing this article because most people aren’t going to read it due to the fact that this story is directed toward the senior class who most likely won’t be here to read this…Or can’t read at all.

Senioritis is typically defined by most teachers as a senior that gives up their senior year due to laziness. However, my opinion is different.

Senioritis should be defined as the disease that effects the once diligent (three and half years worth of diligence to be precise) student who during the last half of senior year begins to think of high school as a joke. This disease is usually brought on with the common symptom known as colleges “acceptancedme” (getting acceptance letters from colleges).

Maybe it’s because all my teachers are reminding me constantly that “You are not going to be able to do (fill in your undesirable/inappropriate activity here) when you get to college!”

Maybe it’s because I have to spend about seven hours a day here five days a week for two credits that I could have easily completed in nine weeks rather than nine months. . I could have had a child in that time.  

Maybe… never mind I am too tired to think of more reasons/excuses.

Not only has senioritis affected my schoolwork, it has affected my job, yesterday I literally woke up at 3:19pm and had to be at work at 3:30pm. I live twenty minutes away from where I work. Don’t worry, I made it to work by 3:30. I’m not saying I abided by all traffic laws, but I made it to work on time.

Getting to school and work on time is a challenge in itself, but showing up at all has become an issue over the last couple of months. When I do make it to class, all I seem to do is sleep; when I go home, all I do is sleep. Even with all the sleep during classes I’m somehow still tired when I get home.

I’ve come to the conclusion that senioritis isn’t just a myth used as an excuse for laziness. It’s real. Really. I have it. This could be the possible explanation as to why I’m writing this column twenty minutes before it’s due…