College Advice From a Pro

+College+Advice+From+a+Pro

Although Chapin High does a lot to prepare students for college, some questions about college can only be answered by a pro. College Professor Mark Jones recently visited Chapin to share some important advice with rising seniors.

Even though his main goal was to talk to students about writing a good college entrance essay, he also shared helpful advice about college in general.

“College is about how hard of a worker you are, and how you manage your time. You don’t have to be a genius to graduate,” said Professor Jones.

He also shared some of his thoughts on the way CHS prepares students for college.

Jones did not see the importance of declaring a major in high school.

He said,“It is wrong to have high school kids declare a major because I didn’t declare my major till I was a junior in college.”

He also added a criticism of the current bell curve trend in college grading which assigns grades along a grading spectrum rather than merely of the merit of the work.

“The bell curve is a terrible idea. If you make an “A” you make an “A.” It is that simple,” according to Jones.

Before you make the grades, you have to find the right college. However finding the right college may seem like a hard thing to do for lots of students.

“Students should check out the programs that colleges have to offer. The best way to see if you like a college is to visit the college, visit the dorm rooms, and talk to the teachers and the students, you may want to sit in on one of the lessons. Don’t go to a college because all your friends are going. When you find the right College you will know because it will feel right,” said Jones.

The school day is shorter in college so students have more free time, but some students don’t know how to  handle the freedom.

Jones adds, “The best thing students should do in there free time is to spend 40 hours of their week doing school work, and with the rest of their time, they should get the exercise and sleep that they know they need.”